[分享]AP: SF Chinese Newspaper's "Hate Blacks" co

入得谷来,祸福自求。
Jun

[分享]AP: SF Chinese Newspaper's "Hate Blacks" co

Post by Jun » 2007-03-01 8:20

Asian Leaders Condemn Column As Racist
By TERENCE CHEA, Associated Press Writer
4:35 PM PST, February 27, 2007

SAN FRANCISCO -- Asian-American leaders are calling on a weekly newspaper to apologize and cut ties with a writer who penned a column titled "Why I Hate Blacks."

In the piece, which appeared in the Feb. 23 edition of San Francisco-based AsianWeek, contributor Kenneth Eng lists reasons why he supports discrimination against blacks, writing, among other things, "I would argue that blacks are weak-willed. They are the only race that has been enslaved for 300 years."

An official at the nationally circulated paper apologized and called the column's publication a mistake.

Leaders at the Asian American Justice Center, Chinese for Affirmative Action, Coalition for Asian Pacific Americans and other groups are circulating a petition denouncing the piece as "irresponsible journalism, blatantly racist, replete with stereotypes, and deeply hurtful to African Americans."

The petition calls on AsianWeek to cut ties with Eng, issue an apology, print an editorial refuting the column, and fire or demote the editors who published it.

"Something like this should never have been printed," said Vincent Eng, deputy director of the Asian American Justice Center in Washington, who is not related to the columnist. "Deliberate action needs to be taken to make sure this type of hate speech doesn't continue."

AsianWeek, with a circulation of 48,505, issued a statement apologizing for "any harm or hurt this has caused the African American community."

The newspaper plans to hold a news conference with NAACP leaders in San Francisco on Wednesday to discuss how the Asian and black communities "can be different and yet get along and work together," said Ted Fang, the paper's editor at large.

"The newspaper is sorry that this got published, and I am personally sorry that this got published," Fang told The Associated Press. "The views in that opinion piece do not in any way reflect the views of AsianWeek."

The paper plans to review its policies to "understand how this happened and make sure it doesn't happen again," Fang said, calling the decision to publish Eng's piece a "mistake."

Fang's family publishes AsianWeek, along with a local newspaper called the Independent, and owned the San Francisco Examiner between 2000 and 2004. AsianWeek calls itself "The Voice of Asian America."

The column was among several written by Kenneth Eng, who has described himself as an "Asian Supremacist." Previous columns have been titled "Proof That Whites Inherently Hate Us" and "Why I Hate Asians."

A telephone listing for Eng could not be located.

Sophie Maxwell, one of the city's top black officials and a member of the city's board of supervisors, said she doesn't believe Eng's column will hurt relations between blacks and Asians in San Francisco. She has co-sponsored a city resolution condemning the article and AsianWeek's decision to publish it.

"This man clearly is very ignorant of African-American history and his own history, and he's very angry," said Maxwell, who represents a district with large black and Asian populations.

Jun

Post by Jun » 2007-03-01 11:10

I'm kind of itching to read this much condemned column, but can't find it online. Apparently the same columnist has also written pieces earlier about why he hates whites and Asians (huh?) and called himself an "Asian Supremicist," but did not catch attention until now.

豪情

Post by 豪情 » 2007-03-01 12:39

Are there any blacks in SF? I have not seen one yet.
I happened to take a technical communication class at a community college in South Bay. The instructor complained that she was discriminated as white when she applied for the job. The school was concerned she may not be ready to teach in a very diversified school(It is ridiculous to call it diversified given 90% are asian and 80% are Chinese. Why don't they call a spade a spade?). She argued that she grew up in Southern California(!). Actually she is the number 1 racist I have ever met in person. She talked about cross-culture communication by showing a video clip of a vietnamese girl talking in broken English to clients in a nail salon. Her comments? People of different ethnic groups talk differently. Their communication styles are related to what they do. janitors are usually Mexican and nail salon workers are vietnamese.

I wonder whether Californians really know why diversity and racial tolerence mean. California, to the opposite of Californians think, has much more racial issues than other places on the coasts.

Jun

Post by Jun » 2007-03-01 12:51

I agree with Haoqing about racial problems in CA, but ... Kenneth Eng lives in New York City...

豪情

Post by 豪情 » 2007-03-01 12:55

:oops: The newspaper is SF-based, isn't it?

Jun

Post by Jun » 2007-03-01 12:58

Yes, you're right. It's a Bay Area newspaper that published it, although the writer, who is 22 years old, lives in NYC.

putaopi

Post by putaopi » 2007-03-01 15:15

The Asian community of SF has way more things to do besides bullying a fellow Asian young writer.

What dose that to do with the entire Asian community? He only represents himself. The reaction is irrational and hilarious.
Last edited by putaopi on 2007-03-01 15:29, edited 1 time in total.

hh

Post by hh » 2007-03-01 15:18

不是所有歌声都掠过耳旁,而不留在心上

Jun

Post by Jun » 2007-03-01 15:32

Wah! Thank you very much. Nice reading, hehe. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Mr. Eng has published science fiction books, apparently.

wuliaotou

Post by wuliaotou » 2007-03-01 15:50

According to NPR, the black population in SF used to be around 20%-30%, now decreased to around 8%. I think the problem is the newspaper is considered mainstream among Chinese and it published such racist article. If it's just a personal blog, then no problem at all.

water

Post by water » 2007-03-02 9:11

If Eng put his thoughts differently, more in a politically correct way (like we Asians as a community should respect our heritage and identity rather than follow that of other ethnic group blah blah blah), he would probably have been applauded by his own community which he seems really care). I don't know about the west coast. But in the east coast, my friends and I have been discriminated and stereotyped more by Asians. I am especially disgusted like Eng by those "melt into the mainstream American society" bullshit from the Asians. I don't even have a clue what this "mainstream American society" stands for.

But said so, I have to agree the way he wrote is more like an immature boorish child yelling in the street. Yes he speaks from his true experience , but who cares? Didn't he know skillful diplomacy and political correctness are two essential traits for a writer to successfully make a career in this society?

Jun

Post by Jun » 2007-03-02 9:17

skillful diplomacy and political correctness are two essential traits for a writer to successfully make a career in this society?
A political career, yes; a writing career, no. A writer can be as obnoxious, mean-spirited, provocative, dumb, and racist as you want and make a name for himself. Or better yet, become a political blogger or extremist radio show host.

water

Post by water » 2007-03-02 11:00

Come on. There are rules of thumb to follow. There are offensive topics you can talk about and make jokes all the way you want, but there are also taboo subjects you just can't touch. I can come up with a list at this minute if you want . Besides I don't see there is any contradiction between "being obnoxious, mean-spirited, provocative, dumb and racist" and "being skillful and politically correct". It's a matter of how you say it and whom you apply that attitude to. A political blogger or extremist radio show host at least get their support from their own people, the other partisans or extremists. Eng will get nothing but attacks from the people he attacked and also the people whom he thought he defends for, although in the possibly worst the way.

Let's see with a racist label especially a racist against the blacks, where his career is going. And I bet some, probably not all of the editors, working for that magazine do share if not the same point of view then the same experience with Eng. It's hard for me to imagine how it got slipped through and published in the first place.

If anybody is interested, here is the link to "Why I hate Blacks".

http://www.capaweb.org/awpetition/Asian ... rticle.pdf

Elysees

Post by Elysees » 2007-03-02 12:04

哎,湾区最近新闻很多,新闻很多呀。
Last edited by Elysees on 2007-03-02 14:26, edited 1 time in total.
我自横刀向天笑,笑完我就去睡觉。

Knowing

Post by Knowing » 2007-03-02 12:27

I dragged myself through the stupid article, and frankly don't know what the fuss is about. Mr Eng is apparently a harmone-packed teenage idiot who vented his anger via racist rant, the article barely had a point or any substantial argument. It is not worse than any craiglists posts or blogs, neither should it be taken seriously. Yes, the editor of that newspaper should be fired. Even if you revert everything Mr Eng said in that article and make it completely politically correct, it is still useless pointless ranting not an actual article that should make it all the way on to the papers. The ediotr, is an idiot too. Moreover, the manager of the paper is an idiot for not doing damage control in time ... Now they are looking very bad.
有事找我请发站内消息

Jun

Post by Jun » 2007-03-02 12:31

No, knowing. The article made a fuss because 1) the newspaper is somewhat prominent in the Bay Area, 2) this fuss seems to have touched a nerve with a lot of locals and seems to reflect a widespread but unsaid public sentiment, 3) the newspaper owner is a prominent family in San Francisco with some political clout.

I am sorry but I confess I do not understand Water's point.

Knowing

Post by Knowing » 2007-03-02 12:41

I guess I am not that in touch with the local asian community? I never sensed anything like that. I thought Asian Teens loved Hip-hop culture and wanted to be black. They dress like them, they dance like them, they talk like them, they copy every rap singer's move from MTV. Apparently I don't know anything about Asian teenagers here... The limited samples I saw at night clubs are apparently wrong //shamefully admit, recently on 2 occasions I went clubbing with a young-ish crowd and I was amazed to find the 50%-50% Asian/African American crowd type of club seemed to be in fashion. I was actually wondering if that's unique among asian teens, or just a result of widelyspread trend among teens of all races due to the hip-hop culture.
Last edited by Knowing on 2007-03-03 14:16, edited 1 time in total.
有事找我请发站内消息

Jun

Post by Jun » 2007-03-02 12:45

I thought Asian Teens loved Hip-pop culture and wanted to be black. They dress like them, they dance like them, they talk like them, they copy every rap singer's move from MTV. Apparently I don't know anything about Asian teenagers here...
:mrgreen: That's exactly the kind of Asians Mr. Eng hates. :lol:

Knowing

Post by Knowing » 2007-03-02 12:48

Oh I get it . Mr Eng, the sci-fi fiction writer, is the type of geeky nerdy tiny-weeny boy that does well in school but never "cool" or "in" and gets bullied by the "cool" kids all the time. He hates them. :mrgreen:
有事找我请发站内消息

豪情

Post by 豪情 » 2007-03-02 13:53

That explains :lol:

water

Post by water » 2007-03-02 13:56

My point? I don't think I have a point about Eng's point. That's from his personal experience. I don't want to judge other people if I have never been in their shoes. People who disagree with him obviously showed their strong emotion and people who agree with him probably are afraid to say anything. I wonder what is the percentage of the people who think the same as he but decided to shut up because of the expectable turmoil . I also wonder with "being politically correct"hanging everywhere how many people are telling their true feelings?

And I envy those people who glance at other people's behavior and quickly jump to a conclusion "oh this is so wrong, so rediculous, so prejudiced ......" and their conclusion always agrees with political correctness. It's like they have political correctness built into their brains. How I wish I were them.

dropby

Post by dropby » 2007-03-02 14:26

If 3K is legal in the States, I really do not understand this turmoil about this article. Yes, it is stupid, but it's his right to say whatever. If the newspaper has to apologize for this one, why not the one about whites and Asians? They are equally stupid.

Jun

Post by Jun » 2007-03-02 14:54

KKK is legal because of freedom of speech. People have the right to say stupid things. By publishing the article, the newspaper is saying the owner, the editor in chief, and column editor all by implication condone his racist attacks on black people.

Imagine someone published the article below in SF Chronicles and see how that makes you feel:
Here is a list of reasons why we should discriminate against yellow people, starting from the most obvious down to the least obvious:

Yellow people hate everyone, including themselves, except only the rich and powerful white men. Every black, Latino, and whoever they consider “inferior” who has ever come across them knows that they look down on non-Asians and even Asians of a different nationality. In my experience, I would say about 90% of yellow people I have met, regardless of age or environment, poke fun at the very sight of blacks, Latinos, and anyone who is not white.

Contrary to media-depictions, I would argue that yellow people are stupid. They are the only race who fall in love and worship their conquerors and let their colonialist masters bleed them dry with opium while kissing their white ass. It’s unbelievable that they still worship white people and their “democracy”, and their women prefer white bums to smart and strong men of color.

Yellow people are easy to coerce. This is proven by the fact that in WWII, the Japanese easily invaded many Asian countries and turned many of these yellow people into their slaves, who in turn did a lot of dirty work for them. Then when the Americans bombed Japan, look how quickly the Japanese turned around and worshiped the Americans like they were god. Even today, young yellow people all over Asia gobble up TV shows made for and by white people and imitate everything they see on white TV shows about white people. Correct me if I’m wrong, but wasn’t it the white people who invaded these yellow countries and turned them into their colonies two hundred years ago?

Yellow people don’t get it. I know it’s a blunt and crass comment, but it’s true. (OK, I was totally lost here reading Eng’s argument about debate and classes and don’t know how to imitate it ...)

It’s rather troubling that yellow people are treated by whites like little geniuses and yes-men, yes-women, but again, who wouldn’t love those who kiss their ass? But you know what? They're just ugly and will invade American with their slant-eyed ugly yellow babies in a few years if they are not stopped by our discrimination.
(OK, I have to admit this is not very good imitation. I'm not that good at making up sweeping attacks that are hilariously wrong and untrue.)

You know what? I agree we should remove the public pressure for "political correctness," so that everybody speaks their mind, so that we can see and hear clearly who thinks what about whom.

dropby

Post by dropby » 2007-03-02 16:40

我以为报纸上所有观点都是文责自负, 一律不代表报纸本身的观点, 除了社论以外? 尤其是如果是一个专栏作家的专栏的话.

而且这小屁孩本来就是一愤青, 看谁都不顺眼. 为什么看白人亚裔不顺眼就无所谓, 看黑人不顺眼就要一棒子打死?

putaopi

Post by putaopi » 2007-03-02 23:58

dropby wrote:我以为报纸上所有观点都是文责自负, 一律不代表报纸本身的观点, 除了社论以外? 尤其是如果是一个专栏作家的专栏的话.
按理说应该是这样的。

<Asianweek>算不上是湾区的重要报纸,它家的免费报箱也就是在旧金山市内而已。另外,虽然报纸的老板是华裔,但编辑撰稿人多是泛亚裔,他们自己的定位也是“Voice of Asian Americans", 跟华人社区的关系其实没有那么密切。我前几年倒是经常读这份报,觉得他们的概念虽然不错,但是大部分作者的稿子都写得很一般,没有什么特别的见解。

有趣的是, 前几年这份报纸引起同样的注目,是因为刊登了一封中西部的读者来信,指责当时 lakers的中锋O'neal谈起姚明时有种族歧视的不当言辞。后来好像以O'neal的敷衍道歉了事。后来的采访中有记者问姚明的感想,他说他不觉得有什么。

我个人的感受是, 土生的亚裔对种族歧视的敏感度比我们这些FOB( Fresh out of Boat) 要高得多。从小做为少数民族生活,跟我们的感受自然不同。特别因为近年来亚裔在美国受迫害的历史越来越广为人知,像二战时的日裔集中营和战前的排华法案,更让亚裔知道自己的前辈是种族主义的victim.

Kenneth Eng文章的问题不是他对白人,黄人和黑人都有意见,而是写得根本不好。我不介意亚裔中有这么个公开的racist,反正白人黑人里这样的人也不少。 说明我们又向种族平等进了一步。