[分享]WashPost article about Korean Wave

Post by Jun » 2006-08-31 9:03

LOL. :mrgreen:
Japanese Women Catch the 'Korean Wave'
Male Celebrities Just Latest Twist in Asia-Wide Craze

By Anthony Faiola
Washington Post Foreign Service
Thursday, August 31, 2006; A01

TOKYO -- Thin and gorgeous in a slinky black dress, Mikimoto pearls and a low-slung diamond Tiffany pendant, 26-year-old Kazumi Yoshimura already has looks, cash and accessories. There's only one more thing this single Japanese woman says she needs to find eternal bliss -- a Korean man.

She may just have to take a number and get in line. In recent years, the wild success of male celebrities from South Korea -- sensitive men but totally ripped -- has redefined what Asian women want, from Bangkok to Beijing, from Taipei to Tokyo. Gone are the martial arts movie heroes and the stereotypical macho men of mainstream Asian television. Today, South Korea's trend-setting screen stars and singers dictate everything from what hair gels people use in Vietnam to what jeans are bought in China.

Yet for thousands of smitten Japanese women like Yoshimura, collecting the odd poster or DVD is no longer enough. They've set their sights far higher -- settling for nothing less than a real Seoulmate.

The lovelorn Yoshimura signed up last year with Rakuen Korea, a Japanese-Korean matchmaking service, to find her own Korean bachelor. And she is hardly alone. More than 6,400 female clients have signed up with the company, which says its popularity has skyrocketed since 2004, when "Winter Sonata" became the first of many hot Korean television dramas to hit Japan. Even in Shinjuku ni-chome, Tokyo's biggest gay district, niche bars with names such as Seoul Man have sprouted like sprigs of ginseng in a Pusan autumn.

"South Koreans are so sweet and romantic -- not at all like Japanese guys, who never say 'I love you,' " Yoshimura said as she waited for her blind date, a single Korean man, in the 50th-floor bar of a chic Tokyo skyscraper. A telephone operator who lives with her parents in Hiroshima, she has spent thousands of dollars on her quest for a Korean husband, flying to Seoul 10 times in the past two years and bullet-training to Tokyo for seven blind dates with Korean men.

So far, though, she hasn't found the one she's looking for.

"Maybe I'm living in a fantasy world," she said, pouting her blood-red lips. "Maybe I'm looking for the TV stars I can't really have. But we are all allowed a dream, aren't we?"

In part, the new allure of Korean men can be traced to a larger phenomenon known as the "Korean Wave," a term coined a few years ago by Beijing journalists startled by the growing popularity of South Koreans and South Korean goods in China. Now, the craze for all things Korean has spread across Asia, driving regional sales of everything from cars to kimchi.

Meanwhile, the number of foreign tourists traveling to South Korea leapt from 2.8 million in 2003 to 3.7 million in 2004. The bulk of the growth, South Korean tourism officials say, stemmed from Korean Wave-loving Asian women. Partial statistics for 2005 indicate the feminine tide has not yet let up.

For the South Koreans -- who have long suffered discrimination in Japan and who have hardly been known as sex symbols -- it all comes as something of a shock.

Korean male celebrities are now among the highest-paid actors outside Hollywood. According to the South Korean media, "Winter Sonata" star Bae Yong Jun -- whose character stood by his first love through 10 years of car accidents and amnesia -- is now charging $5 million a film, the steepest price anywhere in Asia. In a few short years, Bae is said to have accumulated a merchandising and acting-fee empire worth an estimated $100 million. At least nine other Korean male stars earn more than $10 million a year, according to a list published in June by the Seoul-based Sports Hankook newspaper.

In Seoul, the neon-lit streets are mobbed these days by visiting Asian women, many sporting rhinestone-studded T-shirts emblazoned with images of their favorite Korean stars. Some fans have been known to stake out famous eateries for hours in the hopes of catching a glimpse of their celluloid beaus.

"It's still a little hard to believe that it's gone this far," said tall, tanned Jang Dong Gun, now one of the highest-paid actors in Asia, during an interview in Seoul.

Jang said he was shocked when, during his first trip to Vietnam in 1998 to promote his new Korean TV drama, thousands of women mobbed his plane at the Hanoi airport and an armada of female fans on motor scooters chased his car all the way to his hotel.

In 2001, the Seoul-based manufacturer Daewoo Electronics hired him as its Vietnam spokesman. Over the past five years, the company said, its refrigerators' market share in Vietnam went from a blip to a robust 34 percent.

"If we can give them a little more joy in their life and show them another side of Korea, than I can only see that as a plus for us and them," he said.

In China, South Korean programs broadcast on government TV networks now account for more than all other foreign programs combined, including those from the United States and Japan, according to South Korean government statistics. Even in Mexico -- land of the telenovela -- a flock of local women stood outside South Korean President Roh Moo Hyun's hotel during a recent visit, holding placards with Korean stars' names. In the United States, the Seoul-based singer Rain played two sold-out nights at Madison Square Garden in 2005. Also last year, sinewy Daniel Dae Kim, the Korean-born actor from the hit show "Lost," was the only Asian to land a spot in People magazine's "Sexiest Men Alive" edition.

Entertainment industry leaders in Seoul credit the phenomenon to good marketing coupled with an uncanny response throughout Asia to the expressive nature of the South Koreans -- long dubbed the Italians of Asia. A hearty diet and two years of forced military duty, industry leaders and fans insist, have also made young South Korean men among the buffest in Asia. Most important, however, has been the South Korean entertainment industry's perfection of the strong, silent type on screen -- typically rich, kind men with coincidentally striking looks and a tendency to shower women with unconditional love.

"It's a type of character that doesn't exist much in Asian movies and television, and now it's what Asian women think Korean men are like," said Kim Ok Hyun, director of Star M, a major star management company in Seoul.

"But to tell you the truth," she said. "I still haven't met a real one who fits that description."

Though the Korean Wave hit Japan relatively late, washing ashore only within the past 24 to 36 months, the country has quickly become the largest market for Korean stars. Bae remains the biggest, but his supremacy is being challenged. Actor Kwon Sang Woo, for instance, is charging $200 for some seats at an upcoming "fan meeting" in Tokyo. Thousands of Japanese are scrambling for a chance to watch him play games with fans, chat and perform little song-and-dance numbers. Some tickets are going for as much as $500 on online auction sites.

Almost all the major Korean male stars have opened lucrative "official stores" in Tokyo. In the three-story boutique of Ryu Siwon, a baby-faced Korean actor-crooner who sings in phonetic Japanese for the local market, the top floor boasts a recreation of his living room, complete with a life-size, high-tech plastic model of Ryu lounging casually on a white leather sofa. It has become a meeting place of sorts for his Japanese fans, where a gaggle of women ages 17 to 61 sat and stared longingly at his statue on a recent afternoon.

Some call it a fad. But Yoshimura -- whose latest blind date turned out to be a slightly paunchy Korean computer programmer -- says she is nevertheless digging in her extraordinarily high heels for the long run.

"I intend to keep looking until I find the right one," she said.

Special correspondent Joohee Cho contributed to this report.

© 2006 The Washington Post Company

花差花差小将军

Post by 花差花差小将军 » 2006-08-31 9:28

我看到日本大小师奶们发情的照片就笑了 :mrgreen:
脚翘黄天宝
光吃红国宝

CAVA

Post by CAVA » 2006-08-31 12:03

26岁的telephone operator好天真,也好有钱啊。 :-D

付给婚介所的费用中要含整容费才行,不然相貌基本不会符合她的‘dream’。Romantic,sweet与否,可以参考韩剧里的父亲形象,大概和韩国男性的真实个性比较接近。

Knowing

Post by Knowing » 2006-08-31 12:18

A telephone operator who lives with her parents in Hiroshima, she has spent thousands of dollars on her quest for a Korean husband, flying to Seoul 10 times in the past two years and bullet-training to Tokyo for seven blind dates with Korean men.
Desperate women like this make me sick in the stomach. I want to slap her in the face and yell: Move out of your parent's place! Get a real job!! Grow up!!!
有事找我请发站内消息

Jun

Post by Jun » 2006-08-31 12:23

Freedom means allowing people to be losers, both men and women. God knows the more losers there are in the world, the more of a survival edge I have --- oops, what survival edge? I don't even have children. I'm probably a bigger loser than she is, who will probably eventually settle down with a lesser "dream" and have a dozen rugrats.

Knowing

Post by Knowing » 2006-08-31 12:37

Come on Jun, you can have children if you really want them, you just don't have the desire to spread your genes.

Losers like this annoy the hell out of me. I have more respect for whores than them. Whores sell themselves to make a living. This woman just wants to live off her parents until Prince Charming come to save her, meanwhile, spends her pathetic little phone operator paycheck on Tiffany and Mikimoto Jewleries.
有事找我请发站内消息

Jun

Post by Jun » 2006-08-31 12:44

Come on Jun, you can have children if you really want them, you just don't have the desire to spread your genes.
Exactly. True losers have no desire to spread their genes, period. :mrgreen:

说真的,我很受不了那种"大学毕业生/高级知识分子生孩子越来越少人类会不会退化"的白痴说法。在生物进化中,大学毕业/知识分子的"优势"等于零,P用也没有(而且也不能基因传给下一代),愿意生能生多生才是物种和个体生物的根本,SAT考几分听不听贝多疯会不会买阿妈泥西装有啥用。
Last edited by Jun on 2006-08-31 13:40, edited 1 time in total.

tiffany

Post by tiffany » 2006-08-31 12:47

Knowing wrote:
A telephone operator who lives with her parents in Hiroshima, she has spent thousands of dollars on her quest for a Korean husband, flying to Seoul 10 times in the past two years and bullet-training to Tokyo for seven blind dates with Korean men.
Desperate women like this make me sick in the stomach. I want to slap her in the face and yell: Move out of your parent's place! Get a real job!! Grow up!!!
日本小娘说了,真正的工作就是有钱大少(最好瘟生)的老婆;而她找到这工作的那一天就是她搬出爹娘家的那一日。 :mrgreen:
乡音无改鬓毛衰

silkworm

Post by silkworm » 2006-08-31 12:51

你们得允许日本超龄少女意淫一下、饭特稀一下吧。

再说了,日本男人不还组团前往亚洲各国买春么,女人也可以呀,诉求略有差异而已。

Jun

Post by Jun » 2006-08-31 12:55

Nah, women do not buy actual sex, they just buy YY, like you said. To feed their head.

CAVA

Post by CAVA » 2006-08-31 13:09

This woman just wants to live off her parents until Prince Charming come to save her, meanwhile, spends her pathetic little phone operator paycheck on Tiffany and Mikimoto Jewleries.
这样的女人亚洲太多了,在一定程度上还是父母造成/鼓励的,小K你一个巴掌怕扇不过来。上次那个为了刘德华要跳河的,不也有家人在背后起哄?

小K这段话略修改,把her parents置换成herself,phone operator换成column writer,就是Carrie Bradshaw的活写照

火星狗

Post by 火星狗 » 2006-08-31 16:25

我非常讨厌Carrie Bradshaw。讨厌到看到她就想扇她的地步。但是这类女人显然来源于生活,不是男编剧的YY。我知道亚洲这种女人很多,另外在美洲大概也不少,鉴于SATC是有明确受众而且大受欢迎的商业电视。

笑嘻嘻

Post by 笑嘻嘻 » 2006-08-31 23:29

我在电视上看过两眼Rain唱歌。印象不错。感觉比周杰伦专业很多。
云浆未饮结成冰

water

Post by water » 2006-09-01 11:58

Come on, it is well said that "When ignorance is bliss, it’s foolish to be wise" (saw it today and used here :-D ). I don't get you guys' reaction. Isn't the world more interesting to have people like that? What exactly the difference between their YY and our watering over their YY here?

Jun

Post by Jun » 2006-09-01 12:04

What exactly the difference between their YY and our watering over their YY here?
I respect their right to BE ALL THEY CAN BE and DREAM ALL THEY CAN DREAM, doesn't mean I can't laugh about it. (And nobody has to be wise to have a hearty laugh.) Like you said, life wouldn't be so much fun if we can't laugh about people. Feel free to laugh at nerdy women who drool over chubby, unpretty, loser-like :mrgreen: movie actors...

tiffany

Post by tiffany » 2006-09-01 12:06

zezeze, movie actors, such a thin line seperates them from movie stars....
乡音无改鬓毛衰

Jun

Post by Jun » 2006-09-01 12:08

Sorry. Should have called them "actors in FILM (or CINEMA)..." 8)

火星狗

Post by 火星狗 » 2006-09-01 12:21

Isn't the world more interesting to have people like that?
从生物延续的角度讲,他们的YY比我们的有益的多。当然最有建设意义的YY应该是YY有钱人。
先贤也讲过,打麻将和读书没有高下之分,不过是indulgence而已。
但是我决不放弃我be entertained的权利。爱全人类这件事情没什么意思。而且be entertained显然是非常公平合理的mutual的。

猫咪头

Post by 猫咪头 » 2006-09-01 12:29

Jun wrote:愿意生能生多生才是物种和个体生物的根本
Again, have your eggs frozen, get money ready to hire some wide-hipped surrogate mothers.
Have a Brady bunch and stop YYing about reproduction.
MMT

Jun

Post by Jun » 2006-09-01 12:30

:worthy: :worthy:

Knowing

Post by Knowing » 2006-09-01 12:35

哇,别拿生物延续自然选择说事儿,要用这个做标准,最建设意义的品质决不是成天不着边际的yy 有钱人,而得是肯繁衍,见人就肯跟对方生孩子,多跟几个总有个把后来发财的,跟买股票要多样性一样。当然我不是要提倡sluttishness, 我是说yy有钱人 即使在人类物种延续的层次上都是有害的。再说有钱还怕没人肯给生孩子?
Last edited by Knowing on 2006-09-01 12:37, edited 2 times in total.
有事找我请发站内消息

猫咪头

Post by 猫咪头 » 2006-09-01 12:35

co- :worthy: :worthy:
MMT

火星狗

Post by 火星狗 » 2006-09-01 12:39

Again, have your eggs frozen, get money ready to hire some wide-hipped surrogate mothers.
这个计划需要很多钱,不妨先努力挣钱,在努力过程中可以YY钱来提高斗志。
总之,YY不是死罪,适度YY有益身心健康。

danni

Post by danni » 2006-09-05 14:19

hum.....韩国人是亚洲的意大利人.....Image